Monday, September 22, 2008

Wanted: Dead or Alive



I considered titling this post, "You Might Be A Homeschooler If...", but considering the universally curious nature of boys, I thought that might be too narrow. I am not sure what has become of me, but I found myself pulling a wagon with two of my guys and scooping up fresh road kill to be taken home for a practice skinning with the new pocketknife received by our most recent birthday boy. (Don't worry, he is forbidden to carry it on his person and unless it is in use under supervision, it stays in Dad's custody.) So we carted off a ten pound groundhog after I made sure he was not just "playing" dead. If he had jumped back to life when I poked him with my pitch fork I really don't think I could have ever returned to my right mind!


This is just one of our latest captures, and most of our catches benefit the captive's health or at worst they are released after a little while, following a thorough observation.


Caterpillar season is a big deal around here, and currently a baby bunny is being nursed back to health. Frogs in the pool are fine, and turtles are welcome to board overnight, but snakes are absolutely banned under any circumstances, no ifs, ands or buts!! We did pass a garter snake around among friends at the park after someone accidentally ran over it with their bike tire.

There is just something about becoming the mother of four boys that changes a girl. It concerns me that my heart actually skips a beat when the Cabela's catalog arrives.




No comments:

Post a Comment